(Note: Some of these steps may not be necessary in your project)
- Seal your base. For indoor mosaic diluted PVA glue with water is adequate, ratio of 1 part glue to 4 parts water, 2-3 coats to be applied with 30 minutes between coats. For outdoor mosaics a good quality sealer or membrane is recommended. If using a sealer 4-5 coats with 30 minutes between coats for drying. Grout additives also double as sealers, which can save you money.
- Plan your design, just an outline is fine for making a mosaic. Transfer your design onto your mosaic base. Click here if you need help doing this.
- Cut your tiles
- Apply your adhesive to the base, small sections at a time so that it doesn't dry out. A palette knife is a useful tool for doing this. Create a bed of adhesive if using a cement based adhesive.
- Lay the mosaic tiles into the adhesive
- Once complete allow the adhesive to dry for 24 hours before grouting.
- Remove excess adhesive from the top of the tiles, if any adhesive is flush with the tile it will show through the grout, which is unsightly.
- Grout the mosaic
If you intent to hang your mosaic mural, pre-drill your holes into the base before tiling. You can then add these tiles once your mosaic is hung, keep small amount of grout spare to grout around the edges.