Suitable adhesives include:
Weldbond Glue - When bonding glass tiles to a glass surface, use Weldbond sparingly if you require a crystal-clear bond. Any whiteness indicates the curing process is not complete.
Clear Silicone - Use plenty of clear silicone, pressing down to ensure there are no air bubbles when using transparent glass or tiles.
The glass must be completely clean prior to applying any adhesives. Rub the surface down with methylated spirits prior to applying glue.
Tips when using transparent tiles & glass
- Any whiteness in the adhesive indicates that the curing process is not complete (applies to Weldbond not silicone). Do not start grouting until the adhesive is completely clear.
- If you are intending on grouting you need to make sure that there are no gaps where glue can seep under the tesserae.
- It is a balancing act between getting a crystal clear finish and making sure you have enough adhesive applied so that the grout does not seep underneath.
- If you are using a glass vase etc you need to take into consideration that you may see the back of your mosaic through the opposing sides.
- A good result takes time; don't rush the laying of the tesserae
Mosaic container project:
- Materials: Orange & Dark Green Crystal Glass Tiles (main section), Gold wave mirror tiles 1 cm, aqua silverfoil glass tiles, silver beads (loose and in chain form).
- The gold wave mirror tiles and silverfoil glass tiles are cut into small rectangles and used to create the top and bottom lines. Three gold mirror rectangles to one aqua silverfoil rectangle.
- Two lines of small square beads, laid individually using tweezers (available from a craft or beading shop)
- One line of silver ball chains to rim the top of the tiles (available form a craft or beading shop)
- Clear silicone used as the adhesive